Establishing IXP brings short-term and long-term benefits, among which the most significant ones are as follows:
- Delay reduction, since all domestic traffic will avoid international hops.
- Decreased costs of international transit;
- Increased autonomy for local communications;
- Development and growth of the local Internet ecosystem;
- Services, above all e-Government services, become safer and more feasible;
- International content providers can build network infrastructure in the state in order to increase user database.
Finally, developed local IXPs can become hubs for regional exchange, where the ISPs from the neighboring countries would exchange traffic.